Friday, February 22, 2008

To the biggest fears of life...

Well this is the first time I am writing something inspired by a movie. I am not the kind who writes on how others fared on something they created. I am of the school which believes that movies/ songs/ paintings/ nature are all but art at some level. Each in silo has different meaning for an individual. The reason why one likes any of the above when he sees/ listens/ feels one of the above is that at some point he or she could relate to it.

I have just finished watching Juno. There are many reasons why I am writing this. Personally I didn't like the movie a helluva lot but I still enjoyed it coz I could really relate to the Mark Loring character played by Jason Bateman. The movie is about teenage pregnancy and a wilful adoption. The movie circles around the most popular nouveau genre Dark humor but in the latter part lumbers into new found romanticism where everything falls into place.

Rather than hinting at the story I would like it to hit at things to which i related. Few days back, we guys had a small trip to Jim Corbett. We played a stupid game wherein we asked random questions to random people and truths should come out. Guess it is called Truth and dare or something. Anyways someone asked the question about the biggest fear in life to me. I answered being in a relationship because I think I am not capable of being just to the requirements of a successful relation. This is partially because of the past experience and partly because of the fact that no matter how good I think I am at character assassination and reading people; I still know nothing about half the humanity- women. But coming back to Juno, I have another fear and that has to do something about having babies of my own. Probably I have it because of ill-fated childhood and troubled history of my brother but somehow there is this thing in my mind where I have always pictured myself adopting children never making them. This is where I relate to the movie and to the character having sexual insecurity of adopting children and rushing into situations where finally he has cold feet. Juno is just the catalyst but in reality, Mark would have quit anyway.

There are a few other things I could relate to with the character, for starters the mid-life career crisis where the guy is doing a job related to his area of interest where he is supposed to happy but is not quiet there and though he knows he ain't good enough, he still has sown the seeds of quitting. Another thing is the relation of Juno and Mark; nothing sexual in intent, just a thing where 2 people can connect and discuss something common at length. Something I share with very few friends of mine where we debate for hours. Another scene where Vanessa is choosing color of wall for the baby and all the guy could think of is food. Very real. :)..

All in all, it was a decent movie but overhyped. I guess this is a real problem affecting a lot many in US hence so many like it so much. I would personally give it 7/10 though the songs were great and very intelligent.

No comments: